Natalie's Blog

Bonjour! Ciao! Hallo! Olá! Kumusta! Привет! Hello!

My Book Report

March7

As an assignment, my class was doing a book talk. As part of that we needed to make a plot chart, create a piece of art demonstrating our book, write a report, and perform a monologue. I chose to do the book “I’d Tell You I Love You, But Then I’d Have to Kill You” written by Ally Carter. For my art, I made a diorama of a scene of the book. Below is my book report.

****SPOILER ALERT: In the following report I will give away the ending of the book.  If you would like to read the book yourself, then do not read the report.

I’d Tell You I Love You, But Then I’d Have to Kill You

Okay, so every girl may spend her teenage years trying to understand boys, but for Cammie Morgan, it’s a bit different. She’s not exactly a “normal” teenager.  Ever since she was in the 7th grade, Cammie has been attending “The Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women”.  This school is known to the public as a fancy boarding school for snooty rich girls, but in reality, it’s a secret spy school. Cammie is a legacy, the daughter of two CIA legends and a descendant of the school’s founder, Gilly Gallagher. Now, Cammie is about to start her toughest mission yet, love. Written by Ally Carter, this fantastic book highlights the failures and successes of Cammie’s secret love relationship, while juggling the average day-to-day problems of a spy in training. This book is an adventure book, a real page turner that will always leave you wanting more! It’s 284 pages of action. Part of the Gallagher Girls Series, it is the first in a whole series of great books.
This book takes place in the small town of Roseville, Virginia. A perfectly subtle place to hide a very unsubtle school. The Gallagher Academy rests peacefully on the manicured grounds of a 200 year old mansion, once owned by Gilly Gallagher, the founder and inspiration of the school. Nobody in this town suspects the Gallagher girls of anything but being conceited and rich, something they use to their advantage to fly below the radar. The main character, Cammie Morgan, has been going to the school for a long time, and is destined to be a great spy. Her mother, one of the CIA’s best operatives, is the headmistress of the school. Cammie lost her father a long time ago, he went out on a mission and never came home. Not uncommon for a spy, but she would never know the details, that’s classified. All she has is memories and an empty grave in their family cemetery plot. Cammie’s best Friends at school are Rebecca Baxter, (AKA Bex) and Elizabeth Sutton, (AKA Liz). Liz is a genius; she’d been in MENSA ever since she was nine. Though she may be one of the most intelligent people to ever attend the school, she’s a little naïve, a firm believer that textbooks know everything. Bex is almost the opposite. The first non-American Gallagher girl to ever attend the school, she doesn’t exactly always follow the rules. She’s adventurous and outgoing, and loves being a spy. At the beginning of the year, a new teacher comes to the school. His name is Joe Solomon and he is young and good looking, and as a result, all of the girls are in love with him. He is the covert operations teacher.

Soon after the start of school, Macey McHenry is thrown into the mix. Macey is a rebellious teen, daughter of the state senator. She’s been thrown out of every boarding school her parents have tried, and now they’re desperate.Unaware that the Gallagher Academy isn’t a normal boarding school, the McHenry’s decide to try it. Cammie and Bex are chosen to give her and her family a tour of the school, knowing she’ll never get in because she not “in the know” on the whole spy thing. But, when Cammie, Bex, and Liz find out that Macey is going to be their new roommate, they are perplexed. It turns out that Macey is a great granddaughter of Gilly Gallagher herself. Due to her ancestry, and her good grades, Macey is let in the school. But, she’s grumpy and hostile, partly because she has to be in the seventh grade classes until she’s caught up. Macey seems to just be a setback to the girls, but they try to make the best out of it.

When Cammie, Bex, and Liz are sent to do their first covert operations assignment, a mission at the Roseville carnival, Cammie runs into Josh. He is a normal boy who thinks she’s a normal girl. He seems to be interested in Cammie, but she can’t tell. She may be fluent in 14 different languages, but teenage boy isn’t one of them. Plus, she knows she can never have a normal relationship with him. He can never know the real her. Cammie can’t shake the encounter out of her head, though. When Bex and Liz find out, they say she must tell someone to make sure he didn’t find out anything. But if everyone else finds out, Josh will be given an extremely thorough investigation, like follow-you-around-twenty-four-seven investigation. So the girls decide to take matters into their own hands and do a quick background-check on Josh.

As the girls go deeper into his life, things get more and more confusing. They find a note from another girl who, from the sounds of things, really likes Josh. One night Macey overhears the three talking about their “special project”. When the girls discover that Macey is an expert on guys, they enlist her help. Macey helps them analyze each little detail they discover about Josh. By using the information they have gathered from snooping, they determine that Josh will be in the Roseville town square at a certain time. Then Cammie meets him there, pretending it’s a “coincidence” .Then, she does it again. Every time Macey deciphers for them everything Josh says, and Cammie begins to like it more and more. But, she realises that she can’t keep doing this without getting caught or falling behind on homework. So they start to leave each other secret messages. They do this by using a loose stone in the town square and hiding the notes under it.

Cammie gets extremely excited when Josh asks her to go on a movie date with him. However, the date would be on the same night as the Gallagher career fair. Cammie now has to choose between the future she has dreamed about for years, or her relationship with Josh. Cammie stays a little while at the career fair and then goes on her date. At the end of the date, Josh kisses her and she thinks that she might actually be able to pull this whole things off. Cammie loves her new relationship and begins sneaking out whenever possible to see Josh. But she never spends any time with her friends anymore and is getting behind on homework.

Just when things are starting to get tense, Josh takes Cammie on a big surprise date. They go to the city’s harvest dance and are having fun when Cammie realises her Mom is there with Mr. Solomon. This couldn’t be more disastrous since she could get in big trouble, and neither person is supposed to know about the other. Cammie tries to  avoid them both for a while, when Macey, Bex, and Liz come to rescue her. Cammie declines their rescue, upsetting them, to let Josh take her home. At the end of the night, he gives her a pair of diamond earrings and tells her “Happy Birthday”. She is confused because it’s not really her birthday. But, Cammie realises this was the fake birthday she had told Josh amongst her web of lies. She also realises it was her father’s birthday, and she was so caught up in seeing Josh, she forgot all about it. This is inexcusable, and Cammie begins to realise how much she’s neglected the rest of her life.

The sophomore class is given the opportunity to go to town the following Saturday. Cammie sneaks away from the group to spend time with Josh at his family’s pharmacy in town. While she’s there, another Gallagher girl, Anna, comes to have her prescription refilled, when some of Josh’s friends come in. They start to harass her, and threaten her because nobody likes the Gallagher girls. Cammie wants to stand up for her friend, but if Josh’s friends see her, she’ll blow her cover. Cammie hides and watched things unfold, when Bex and Macey come in to help Anna. They manage to avoid a fight, without Cammie’s help. But Liz sees what Cammie did, and isn’t impressed. Cammie is losing sense of who she is, and didn’t help a friend in need.

Liz eventually forgives Cammie. She’s hurt, but knows that Josh makes Cammie happy. Cammie thinks things might be going well again when they notice something in Josh’s email, which they had been monitoring. Josh’s friend Dillon emailed Josh saying that he had seen Cammie with the Gallagher girls in town and he knew Cammie was lying. He said that he was going to get proof that night. Cammie knew she couldn’t let this go any further. She couldn’t let any of her sisters get hurt and she couldn’t keep this going forever.

She met up with Josh and Dillon in town, right before they got to Gallagher academy.  She tells Josh the truth, well, the abridged truth. She told him that she went to the Gallagher Academy and she had lied a lot. Needless to say, he wasn’t very happy. Of course he resorted right to the the stereotypes, that Cammie was some rich heiress who had played him. He was angry, and sad. But so was Cammie. He had spent time with her. He had liked her. How dare he assume she was conceited and snooty? But her bad mood didn’t last for long. Suddenly she was grabbed by someone in a van. She kicked and fought, but she eventually realised it was one of her teachers. He was helping Mr. Solomon. This must be her Covert Operations test.

She knew it had been coming and now her training kicked in. Her teachers drove her to the location of the test and tied her up. She was told that her team was trying to retrieve a disk that had valuable information on it. She had been captured. She could not be sure whether or not her team would find this location. Cammie soon escaped the restraints and surveyed the area, an abandoned warehouse.She soon located Bex and Liz and was informed about where everyone else was. She didn’t feel like someone who had just had her heart broken, she felt like a girl on a mission.

Just as the girls were getting ready to go through with the mission, Josh stormed in on them. He had seen Cammie getting grabbed by Mr. Solomon and thought she was actually getting kidnapped. What he didn’t know was that surrounded by a bunch of highly trained teenage spies, he was the one who would need saving. He tried to save her yet again inside the warehouse by driving a forklift through the wall just as they were about to retrieve the disk. The mission was over and Cammie was exposed. Her mother and Mr. Solomon both saw Josh. It was all over. Mrs. Morgan and Mr. Solomon spent all night in her office telling Josh all the secrets. Cammie met him in the morning and he was upset, but a little happy to finally know all these things. Cammie is elated though. If he forgives her then they can get back together again after the break. She won’t need to lie anymore. But just as he leaves, she finds out he was given memory-erasing tea. He won’t remember any of it. That’s where the book ends until the next one in the series.

I chose to read this book because I thought it sounded very interesting. I think espionage is really cool. I have watched a few movies that have had spies in them, and I think it’s a very interesting topic. Also, I think it’s nice how the author incorporated a love story into the spy theme. Pretty much any book you read  will have romance or a”love triangle” in it these days. I thought the author incorporated it in a new way that was entertaining and innovative. Also, the topic of spies hasn’t been used a lot in many books that I’ve seen so I thought it would be interesting.The author creates a world that is fun and, although fictional, very realistic. It was fun to hear about how the life of a spy might be like, and at times the author, Ally Carter, used this to make some humor. Overall I chose this book because it looked interesting and new.

Ultimately, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The Characters in the story seemed very realistic. The way they reacted to things and events seemed to be exactly how a real person would act in that situation. The author was able to convey the thoughts and feelings of a teenage girl trying to navigate her first relationship. The way the book was written was as if Cammie was saying it herself, but by the way the words sounded it sounded just like a teenage girl would say it. Cammie starts spending all of her time with Josh and neglecting the other relationships in her life just like it often happens in real life. I thought the author did a great job with the character Macey McHenry. Macey acted rebellious, the couldn’t-care-less-type. But underneath, you could see she was insecure. She wanted to do well in school, but she studied secretly so no one would see her. You could tell she desperately lacked attention from her parents, and as a result, acted like she didn’t care if people loved her or not. But she strives to please others. The characters were extremely realistic and, in some cases, very relatable. Anybody can find themselves thinking of friends or family members who may have similar personalities to the characters.

One thing I thought the author could have done better was describe the setting better. Ally Carter did an okay job describing the Gallagher mansion. I could kind of picture it. But, since most of the story takes place there, it would have been nice to have more of a sense of what it looked like. All you’re really told is that it is big, old fashioned, and well decorated. Other than that, it’s left up to your imagination, which can sometimes be an issue because if your idea of it is too far from how it really is, you can get confused later on in the book. I didn’t think the author did a good job describing the town of Roseville at all. You were told it was small, but at some points it is described as large. The town square, where many important scenes take place, is hardly described at all. I thought the story could have been much better had there been more description. A book is difficult to write, because you might know or see something inside your head as an author, but you have to know how to get your reader to see the same thing. Ally Carter could have done much better at that. Also, it would have been nice for her to describe the characters better. Mostly all that is said is haircolour and whether or not they are young, old, beautiful, ect. Throughout the whole book, the author never describes the main character, Cammie, at all. Even though it’s written from Cammie’s perspective, a good author should know how to incorporate these things. Lastly, the author does not give much indication of the passage of time. It is hard to tell how long it’s been between major events, and it is very hard to tell whether or not the book takes place over a whole school year or just one semester. These are all small things that can largely affect the overall appearance of a book. I don’t’ think the author did a good job describing the setting.

Overall, I thought the storyline was pretty good. At times it could be a little hard to follow. Whenever *the girls made a plan, the author didn’t explain what the plan was, only how they executed it. That made it difficult to follow, but other than that it was very enjoyable. Cammie must make several difficult decisions in the story. Plus, it’s comical to watch her learn how to be in a relationship as she obsesses over every little detail. I think the author has created her own world within the book. Although it’s very realistic, there’s a little bit of fantasy with the spies and all their high tech gadgets. I would very much like to go to the Gallagher Academy, if it existed. It was very exciting and interesting. The plot of the story was very original, combining spying with love. It was very action packed. It didn’t have many cliffhangers, though, and I think it could have used a few more of those as they always make books better.

My favourite part of the story was when the girls were on their first mission at the Roseville carnival for Covert Operations. The three girls must secretly follow another teacher without him knowing and find out what beverage he has to drink. This particular teacher is a former spy and quite paranoid, making it all the more difficult. I liked this part of the story because you get to see them in action on a mission. It doesn’t have any of the romance thing involved because she hasn’t met Josh yet. At first, it’s nice to see them going on a normal mission to compare it to how they act on a mission when Josh is involved. It’s cool to see how they do the mission, what tactics they use. It’s like you’re learning how to be a spy as you hear about how to follow someone so they don’t catch you. It’s interesting because you get a glimpse of how good they really are and what they get taught at the school.

I would definitely recommend this book to my friends. I think that this book is a great book for girls aged 10 and up. I think this only because of the reading level. This book takes the whole love-story thing to a new level. It’s fun and humorous, exciting and enjoyable. I would rate it 8 out of ten stars; only 8 because of the aforementioned lack of description and not a lot of suspense. This book has a lot of female empowerment. After all, it is the Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women.  The Gallagher girls are strong and independent, and they won’t let anybody underestimate them because they’re girls. It really shows girls they can be anything they want. On several occasions in the book, the girls managed to complete a mission that could only be done by a girl. They have the advantage of being smaller, and people wouldn’t exactly assume a pretty young girl is a deadly spy. I think any young girl would enjoy this book, and the whole series. It’s an original idea, classic love story with a twist, and an action packed thriller. That’s not exactly a combination you see every day. I’d Tell You I Love You, But Then I’d Have to Kill You is definitely a must read for any girl
!

by posted under Uncategorized | 2 Comments »    
2 Comments to

“My Book Report”

1. March 22nd, 2013 at 3:34 pm      Reply Amy Says:

I love your report it is really good can you believe I read all that.Anyways..I read the book my self its a great book.I suggest you go take a look at my blog? at http://amyrprofolio2013.blogspot.com/
    thanks and don’t forget to comment.

2. April 3rd, 2013 at 2:41 pm      Reply Emily Says:

I love that book, and One Direction as I saw in the post about 10 people you want to meet. You are a very good writer. Come look at my blog http://portfolioemily18.blogspot.com/ Thank You!

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar